기본 콘텐츠로 건너뛰기

Sobaek Mountain: 2 days trip (소백산 하이킹)

If you are tired of the city trip in Seoul, I would like to recommend you to visit any mountains in Korea. Almost 70% of the lands in South Korea are mounts and mountains. Most of the mountains are not that tall like Alps or Himalaya, but they are beautiful.

Some of the national parks in Korea offer shelters, where you can stay overnights in the nature. The national parks which have the shelters are: Seoraksan, Sobaeksan, Jirisan, Deogyusan.

Most trekking routes are blocked to avoid the prevalent fire accidents in the spring time. I planned to do the 3 days trekking in Jirisan, but the route was also blocked until May. Therefore, I had to decide to go to the Sobaeksan which is not that far from Seoul.  The name Sobaek means small-white. It must be very beautiful in Winter time.

The top of the Sobaek mountain, 1439m.

I had to take a slow train to reach near the Huibangsa station, which is just near the entrance of the national park. There are 2 slow trains from the Seoul Cheongnyangni station to the Bujeon (Busan). I took the train at 7:38 am and arrived at the Huibangsa station at 10:18 am.


It is very delightful to eat some food on the way of travelling somewhere. What I like to eat most in the train are the boiled egg and the kimbap. I had a bit time to buy the food just before the train leaves.

boiled eggs and kimbap

It took 3 hours to arrive at the destination. I spent this 3 hours for the additional sleep. Wake up at 5 am is really hard work. :( 

I like early spring time hiking. There are not many hikers on the way to the top and it makes the hiking more calm and relaxing. I bumped into some hikers on the way, and said Annyeong each other. The hikers in the mountain are more chill and open minded than the busy people in the city. I heard more Annyeong in 1 day at the mountain than a week staying in Seoul :)




I arrived at the top of the Sobaeksan after the 2 and a half hours hiking. The mild breeze of the spring wind made me feel so good. I was the only one at the top. I had a lunch and some relax for 20 minutes, but I just saw only 2 hikers during this break. This place is really good if you like the calm holidays.




The next destination was Yeonhwabong. It was a bit downhill and uphill mixed, but very easy walking route.



The top of the Yeonhwabong


I reached at the shelter at about 5 pm. Since it was the off season, there were only 3 guests in this shelter. It can occupy up to 150 people, so we had a plenty of space to use this shelter for 3 people.



The facilities of the shelter were perfect. They sold some small snacks with the reasonable price. The rooms are very clean and comfortable.



There is also a kitchen where everyone can cook by themselves. One of the hikers prepared the portable gas-cooker and the instant noodles. I shared the food I bought from the town. He shared some portion of the instant noodle with me and it was...wow, so tasty!!! I think I will come here again to cook and eat other food :) 


I had to take a train to Busan, so I did leave early morning around 6 am. The train schedule was the same as yesterday, it left 10:18 am from the Huibangsa station. The downhill walk took only for 2 hours to arrive at the station. I had enough time to see around the station and change clothes for the next trip to Busan.






It was my first time overnight staying at the shelter of the mountain in Korea. It gave me very different emotion which I never had before. I guess it comes from the different way of travelling. I used like to trip in the city and now I like more in the nature. Maybe I should try the 3 days trip in Jirisan, when I come visit in Korea next time. 


댓글