기본 콘텐츠로 건너뛰기

Christmas holidays: Northern-lights in Iceland

One of the activities I wanted to achieve in Winter was seeing the northern lights. Well, it was super expensive to visit the northern European countries from Korea, it was just stayed as a wishlist for some day.

Fortunately, the flight ticket to the northern European countries from Frankfurt is not that expensive, it costs approx. 200 Eur. There are many great spots to see the northern-lights, but I choose to visit Iceland just because I can make a transit in Reykjavik on my trip to the New York. I was able to stay for 3 nights and 4 days in Iceland.

It was my second time visit in Iceland, so I was not that much motivated to do sightseeing in this time. Instead, I enjoyed Spa and eat local foods. The price of the traditional Icelandic food is really expensive. I only had the main meal and one cocktail, but it was already reached 50 Eur. The good thing was, the taste of the restaurant was really nice.

Fish meal, so soft and the source was fantastic

Slow cooked lamb leg meal, great

The price of the cocktail was similar to the price of beer
Daytime of Iceland in Winter was very short. What I felt there was(not statistic correct), the sunrise time was 11 am and the sunset time was 4 pm. It made me not to leave the hotel until I became hungry. The tour of the northern lights can be cancelled  depends on the weather condition. It was cancelled on 23rd Dec and there was no tour event on 24th Dec. I had a great luck that I could attend the tour on 25th Dec. My flight schedule to New York was 26th, so I might have not been able to see it at all.
The tour bus left 9 pm to the north of the Reykjavik. After 30 minutes driving, the bus stopped and we had to go out to see the sky. Unlike the photos I saw on internet, the northern-lights was rather faint. I was not able to distinguish between the northern-lights and the clouds initially. However, the time went and the color of the northern-light became more visible. In some points, the northern-lights danced(moved left and right) and it was really fantastic.

 Mobile phone camera is not proper to take good photos


Just 1 bad thing, no 2 bad things were, I was a big sick due to the flu and I did not have the proper camera to take the photos of the northern-lights. Maybe next time visit, I will prepare a locket like good performance camera ^^


댓글